Today we are celebrating International Day of Persons with Disabilities. The theme this year is Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want, in reference to how the 17 Sustainable Development Goals can build a more inclusive and equitable world for people with disabilities.
This year additionally marks 10 years from the adoption of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), which promotes and protects the rights of people with disabilities.
The CRPD was ratified in Burkina Faso in 2009, however, people with disabilities are yet to experience full inclusion in their country, and have difficulties integrating into their communities.
- They are often victims of prejudice, rejection, abandonment and other forms of exclusion – sadly even within their own families.
- They regularly encounter negative attitudes and discrimination, problems with accessibility, and a lack of implementation of disability-related laws.
All of this results in them being marginalised in society, with many finding themselves living in conditions of extreme poverty.
LAFI Burkina works with partner organisations in Burkina Faso to promote the inclusion of people with disabilities and to ensure that they are able to access education, healthcare and employment opportunities.
We worked with our partners to develop the following projects:
- a centre for children with disabilities;
- dialogue sessions with mothers of children with disabilities on issues that affect their children, as well as on how to better meet their children’s needs;
- purchasing equipment for a catering service run by women with disabilities;
- and an income generating grains trading activity run by a cooperative of disabled artisans.
We have been able to raise funds for these activities due to the generosity of our supporters. We would particularly like to thank:
- Steve Gunn, who fundraised for us when he did the Tour de Flanders cycling race earlier this year;
- Felix Tennison, who did a month-long Dryathlon to raise money for us;
- and our trustees and volunteers who took part in the Parallel London disability-led run.
We are very grateful to everyone who donated to these fundraising campaigns, as well as to anyone who purchased crafts from us – you helped us raise over £2,000! A big thank you also to anyone who visited our stalls, or interacted with us on social media.
We appreciate your support as we continue to work towards an inclusive society in Burkina Faso where people with disabilities have equal rights and opportunities.
Thank you very much,
The LAFI Burkina Team
£5 is a suggested donation amount, which can be changed to any value.